- PITTULLIE, a village, in the parish of Pitsligo, district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 1½ mile (E.) from Rosehearty; containing 227 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the northern coast, is chiefly inhabited by persons employed in the fisheries, and in the manufacture of kelp, which was formerly carried on to a very great extent, though lately not more than twenty tons are annually made. The fishery is prosecuted with success; and large quantities of herrings, and of cod, ling, skate, and other white-fish, are taken during the seasons, for the landing of which the fishermen pay to the proprietor of the estate, £1. 5. per annum. A quay has been erected here by the Board of Fisheries, for the accommodation of the boats. There are some remains of the ancient castle of Pittullie near the coast.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pitsligo — PITSLIGO, a parish, in the district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Fraserburgh; containing, with the burgh of barony of Rosehearty, and the village of Pittullie, 1582 inhabitants, of whom 832 are included within the… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland